Friday, March 4, 2011

Finishing Strong

As much as I love watching my kids enjoy sports, I must say I have been a bit sports weary this winter.  It's been a long season, especially of swimming.  Practices were just a bit later this year, and most nights Sarah wasn't home until around 10:00.  After a shower, a snack and homework that meant an 11:00 bedtime, and for me, that's just a tad too late.  We also had a new coach this year, and she was much tougher than Sarah's coach last year.  Coach Leslie really pushed Sarah, and at times this was hard.  There were a lot of times she wanted to quit this season.  I don't think if I had given her permission she really would have done it, but there were definitely days when it may have been a possibility (especially during Christmas break when practices were at 7:00 am AND 4:00 pm!).  But she didn't quit.  She finished strong, which is what we would pray about every night before bed.  I tended to quit a lot when I was her age...I never really liked to push myself.  I know that through perseverance comes character, and I hope there was some character building along the way this season (for myself included!).  Last night was her banquet, and I was proud to watch her receive the second bar for her varsity letter, along with a special award for most improved (she really did get faster this season).  She is loving the season being over...laying around after school, getting to her homework when she feels like it, watching American Idol and of course, TLC shows.  All of that is fine with me.  There's a season for everything, and after finishing strong it's nice to celebrate what you've achieved and rest (for a little while).  

Proud Mama

Sarah and Coach Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment