Monday, March 28, 2011

Scientific Question - Are You Born Red or Blue?

The month of March always brings out the best and the worst in the Bluegrass State.  By best, I mean that we get to enjoy the excitement of watching our beloved sport of basketball for weeks on end, and if it's an especially good season, we get to see three, sometimes four, teams from our state make the men's tournament.  Add in the women's tournament, and this year the excitment of the Division II tournament (Go Bellarmine!), and it's just a big, heaping, heart pounding month of fun.  By worst, I mean that families are divided, friendships are strained, and professional relationships are tense, all due to the fact that you must look yourself in the mirror and ask the question - am I RED or BLUE?

Which leads me to ask...what makes a Kentuckian red or blue?  There's really no rhyme or reason, so I have to offer the hypothesis that you are born that way.  I used to always think that you grew up one way or the other.  Take Lawrence for example.  His grandfather was a Kentucky fan (he was from Pineville, KY, so anywhere "out" in the state is almost always considered BLUE).  This means his dad and three uncles were Kentucky fans, which then translated to him growing up watching and cheering on the Cats.  However, he then ended up going to Louisville (his mom's alma mater), and was even a cheerleader.  See evidence below.

Lovin' the 80s baby!!!!
So where does this leave him?  I gotta say, even though he cheered on the Cards to their 1986 championship, the man bleeds BLUE.  He still loves the Cards (to his fellow UK friends' chagrin - they really demand he choose a side), but when push comes to shove, he's a Wildcat at heart.  Now, my brother-in-law Joe (and his sister, and maybe his brother, I'm not sure) is an exception to this theory.  His dad is a UK fan, but Joe bleeds RED and ONLY RED.  And my sister, well, she actually went to UK and then transferred to UofL, so she is his perfect match (even though our grandparents and all of our cousins are "out in the state", which mean, yes, they bleed BLUE).  Their kiddos are all RED, through and through.  So, while I think your upbringing has something to do with it, maybe it's not a sure thing.

Which now brings me to the question...what are MY kids?  I thought a few years ago they would for sure be RED, as they love going to UofL football games and basketball games.  But then last year, they both started talking a lot about the BLUE, and I started to see that their father's DNA must be coming through.  Yesterday I looked out in my driveway at them and their friends, and I think I now know for sure:

Whole lotta blue going on out there...
And if that wasn't enough, as I was settling in to read last night at around 9:00 pm, something bounded into my bedroom and jumped in my bed.

What the...?
Then it pounced over into the kids' rooms and hung out with them.

This is better than seeing Santa!

I should have known...Sarah has really blue eyes

Ummmm, not to be rude, but are you going to stay here all night?

So, I think my kids were born BLUE, although they are a bit fickle, so we'll see if that lasts.  As for where that wildcat came from?  Don't ask.  Me?  I just have one thing to say - GO HILLTOPPERS! Oh, and can't we all just get along?

1 comment: