Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Mardi Gras Y'all!

I had no dinner planned for tonight, so I was secretly happy when Lawrence called this afternoon and said we were having red beans and rice for dinner along with a King Cake for Mardi Gras.  He even went to the store and bought all the fixin's on his way home from work.  While he and John were at baseball practice I made the red beans and rice (technically, it was black eyed peas and rice), and when they got home we sat down for a yummy Fat Tuesday meal.  



We all picked what we would give up for Lent...Lawrence is giving up french fries and chocolate; I'm giving up just chocolate; and Sarah and John are giving up soft drinks.  When it came time to eat the King Cake, Sarah cut it up in to four pieces.  


John had found the baby in last year's King Cake, and he had gone upstairs to his room after dinner and slipped last year's baby into his pocket.  He fooled us all when he cut into his piece and shouted that he had found the baby!


His dad was onto him, and called foul.  He could tell that was last year's baby!  A purple coin was sticking out of my piece of cake, and sure enough, it was the baby.  That means I have to provide the King Cake next year.


Our church doesn't really observe Lent, but Lawrence and I like the tradition of giving something up as we anticipate the celebration of Easter.  Can we make it six weeks without french fries and chocolate?  We'll see!

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Jill, I am giving up soft drinks too! Sarah, John, and I will have to work hard together! Bruce says he is giving up some of his wii games... but I am not sure... I remember when John won the baby last year! haha

    ReplyDelete