Saturday, May 10, 2014

Derby Weekend

Derby weekend was a fun one this year, and while we didn't go to the track on Derby Day, we did do some other fun things leading up to the big day.  On Thursday we went out to Churchill Downs with the Weises, Russells and Vargas.  We've gone out on Thursday (given an official name this year of "Thurby") with them the last several years, and it's become one of our favorite days at the track.  In fact, we had so much fun this year that I didn't even stop and think to take one single picture (shame on me!), so I'm going to include a throwback from last year's Thurby day.  Here is one of my favorites of Lawrence and me in front of the spires from 2013.


We stayed until the last race and then went to our traditional dinner at Z's in the neighborhood.  We laughed so much on this day...it was fun, fun, fun.

Somehow Sarah had sweet talked her dad into agreeing to take her and five of her friends to the Oaks this year (he is definitely the "fun" parent).  He got them a box and off they went that day for a fun day at the track.  





The day was a bit chilly but they all insisted they didn't need sweaters or wraps.  Having been at the track many a chilly day myself, I knew to send Lawrence with a bag of items, and late in the day he texted me a picture of them saying the wraps and the box lunches from Panera I sent with him were a good idea! 


The girls had fun hooking up with friends and the day appears to have been a success.  It's probably best I wasn't there, as I surely would have been a nervous wreck making sure they didn't get into any trouble in the infield!

That night we got to do something we've never done before...go to the infamous Barnstable Brown party.  Lawrence's friend Billy Collis gave the firm six tickets (they do work for him from time to time), and we all stepped out in to style to rub elbows with the stars.

The Firm - together for 20 years!
The party was such a fun spectacle to see...in some ways it was different from what I expected (the house itself is a bit tired), but in other ways it was just as I had pictured...lots of semi famous (and some really famous!) people, great food and music, and lots of over the top decor.  We had a ball, and I'm really glad we got to go.  

Me, Laura and Amy heading up the walk to the house
Checking out the pool
Watching Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert 
All the girls from Oaks spent the night, and we were all dragging on Saturday morning.  The day was beautiful outside, and after everyone went home Lawrence and I went and picked up flowers for the yard and I got all our spring planting done.  That evening Sarah went down the street to babysit for the Dezarns and we were all in bed by 10:30...not the most exciting Derby day ever, but definitely a great Derby weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment