Thursday, January 30, 2014

January Reads

The cold weather has been the perfect excuse to curl up with a good read, and I've logged some serious hours on the Kindle this month. My first read was our January book club selection, The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan.


This was a good book...I wouldn't say great, but good. It was very long (around 600 pages), and it spans around 50 years in early 20th century China, telling the story of an American madam of a courtesan house and her relationship with her half Chinese daughter. Everyone at our book club meeting agreed that it had some good parts and kept you engaged, but that they probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Right after that I jumped into our February selection, Me Before You by Jojo Moyers. This only took me four or five days to finish because I couldn't put it down. I loved the characters, the story and the writing, and I can't wait to discuss it at our February meeting.



Now I'm skimming through Hands Free Mama. This is a short, easy read about living a less distracted life and being more present and intentional with those you love. Nothing revolutionary,  but a good gut check and shot in the arm.


John and I still read every night before bed, and we've been rereading the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. He is way past these, but we still laugh out loud every time we read them.


We are traveling quite a bit this month so I need to download some new titles. Can't wait to get engrossed in a new plot!

No comments:

Post a Comment