Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Merry Christmas!

When I was a child, most Christmas Eves were spent in Jamestown at Pop and Gran's house (my dad's parents).  Except for a few Christmas Eves spent in Virginia, my main memory is of Pop and Dad getting everyone up at around 5:30 in the morning (I think there may have even been a year or two where we were up before 5:00).  Note, it was not the KIDS getting up at 5:00 am, but the ADULTS!  I always remember waiting outside the living room while my dad went in to check to see if Santa had come...there were always five "kids - me and my sister, and the three Schureman cousins.  When the time was finally right, he would pull open the door and we'd rush in to find five piles of gifts (our Santa gifts were always wrapped).  Well, John definitely has some "Pop" in him, because he woke up for the first time on Christmas at about 3:00 am.  He asked if it would be okay if he played on his iTouch until 7:00, which is the earliest I told him we would get up (I know, my dad and Pop would be sorely disappointed in me!), and we of course told him, "NO!"  At 7:05, he came rushing to our bed to show us what Santa had left under the tree in his room (a UK baseball hat), and I knew there was no going back to sleep.  He went and dragged Sarah out of bed and within minutes we were downstairs experiencing another year of Christmas morning magic.  

There was a new field hockey stick, Kindle Fire and shoes for Sarah, and an airsoft gun, baseball bat and Randall Cobb Packers jersey for John.  Throw in a few fun filled stockings, and you had two happy, excited kids.

She's ready to play! 
Yes, that's a Justin Bieber toothbrush!
Ready for the NFL
After seeing what Santa brought we exchanged gifts with one another.  Sarah gave John a new batting helmet, and he gave her a bottle of Wonderstruck perfume (Taylor Swift's scent!).  This is what he had gone to Macy's for at midnight on Black Friday, and it's been waiting under the tree for her since that very day.  We gave Lawrence a new set of golf clubs, and we surprised the kids with a trip to Copper Mountain over President's Day weekend.  Oh, and I got a Kindle Fire too!  So excited about that...I never am without my Kindle, and now the Fire gives me access to the web and other apps too - love it!  I also got a new camera lens which I can't wait to play with.  

It was so warm on Christmas he actually thought
about playing that afternoon!
 
Batter up!
Someone's excited about the ski trip
Copper Mountain, here we come!
New perfume!
After gifts, I cooked our traditional Christmas morning breakfast, which consists of breakfast casserole (using the Joy Class recipe from my Jamestown Christian Church cookbook), potato casserole (also the Joy Class recipe), and cinnamon rolls (the Pillsbury recipe - Sarah's favorite!).  I made some pretty Christmas punch and we sat down to a yummy breakfast.

Breakfast is served
After breakfast we went back to sleep for a while (all of us except John, who trolled the house with his airsoft gun for about two hours), and then Lawrence and I watched "White Christmas".  I had never seen it, and whenever I mention this to people they are shocked, so I rented it that afternoon and Lawrence and I laughed at the movie set and the old fashionedness of it all.  But I have to admit, I cried at the end, and then put on Bing Crosby that afternoon while I was getting ready to go over to Dick's for dinner.  

We had a lovely Christmas day - peace, joy, love, health, and a Savior.  How could I ask for more?



No comments:

Post a Comment