Thursday, December 29, 2011

And That's Not All!

When my mom and dad returned from Russell County after Christmas, they brought back several goodies for the kids.  Along with generous gifts from their Great Grandmother Lacy and Nila, they delivered a gift from their Great Aunt Nancy (Papa's sister).  Nancy had told me at Thanksgiving that she was working on something special for the kids (although she said they wouldn't appreciate it until they were older).  

She made each of her great grand nieces and nephews a quilted animal made from my grandmother Dorothy's (her mother's) quilts.  Also, around each animal's neck is an embroidered quilted ornament made from Dorothy's bedspread and Pop's ties.  So priceless!  She named each animal after a family member, and she included a letter to each child.  

Meet Sarah Margaret and Louie Wayne

Here is Sarah's letter:

Merry Christmas Sarah!
     My name is Sarah Margaret.  I am named after your great-great-grandmother, Sarah Margaret Bernard Foley, most often referred to as "Sally" or "Granny Foley." 
     From all accounts, Sally Foley was a true pioneer woman, raising her family without running water or electricity!  She always had a huge garden in order to feed her children.  She was the mother to 10 children - Dorothy (your great grandmother), Isabell, Izora, Creola, Carsie, Eldora, Daris, Velmer, Louie and Silas!
     It is also remembered that Granny Foley often read her Bible or devotionals (maybe with 10 kids she had to read her Bible a lot!).  Your Papa says she made the best sugar cookies he's ever eaten!
     I am made from a quilt that was used in your Papa's childhood home, with his mom and dad.  I am actually quite old and maybe a little fragile.  My rough places, paint stains, and coffee freckles are gotten through years of good living in the Antle household.  I hope I can hang around for many years and watch you grow into the beautiful young lady I know you'll be.

And here is John's letter:


Merry Christmas John!
     My name is Louie Wayne.  I am named after your great-great-uncle, Louie Wayne Foley, as was your Papa, Louis Jordan Antle.  Louie was the older brother of your great-grandmother, Dorothy Foley Antle.  Louie Wayne Foley was a man of many talents, mostly remembered as the owner of Foley's Grocery in Jamestown.
     Your Papa, Louis Jordan, remembers that Uncle Louie taught him to drive in a "round about" manner.  Uncle Louie would take Louis J. to Bethel Cemetery to help him mow and trim around the gravestones.  When they were finished, Louis J.'s payment was to drive home from the cemetery!  What a treat!  After Louis J. got his license, Uncle Louie also let him borrow his car to take your Meme on dates!
     Ask your Papa about the "fishing tale!"
     An interesting fact, John, is that your great-great-great-grandfather was also named John - John Antle, born in 1806!
     I am made from a quilt that was used in your Papa's childhood home, with his mom and dad.  I am actually quite old and maybe a little fragile.  My rough places, paint stains, and coffee freckles are gotten through years of good living in the Antle household.  I hope I can hang around for many years and watch you grow into the fine young man I know you'll be.

Well, regardless of whether or not the kids appreciate these gifts yet (and truly, I think they do), I can tell you that I appreciate them so much!  Nancy has always given the best presents...when I was growing up I always looked so forward to her gifts because they were always so thoughtful and creative, and again, she did not disappoint!

Sarah Margaret and Louie Wayne will join their fellow quilted bears that John and Sarah's Nana made them before they were born.  What a precious collection of family history.


No comments:

Post a Comment