Saturday, August 13, 2011

Are You Ready for Some Football???

This morning was John's first official game, and although they lost to Spencer County 6-0, it was an awesome morning to watch some football.  Our team is making such progress...the boys are learning more and more with every practice, and play after play you see the lightbulbs coming on.  Most of all, they are a great group of boys who seem to be a real encouragement to one another.  It's cool to think that most of them will be playing together for the next 8 to 9 years.  Football is such a funny thing...Lawrence and I were talking about it on the way home today, how I don't understand why it is sooooo important to men.  I said I couldn't wait to see the celebration when they score their first touchdown (they were SO close today!), and what a sense of accomplishment they'll feel.  That sort of put it in perspective for me, that maybe men like it so much because it is such a battle to score.  It's really, really hard, even though sometimes it looks easy.  It's been a battle just to teach these little guys how to put their equipment on the right way, much less move the ball up the field, down after down, without penalties and jumping off sides, holding and various other missteps.  What a feeling it will be to finally score!  I guess it really is the thrill of the "hunt", and how victorious you must feel when it finally comes together.  


So  I guess today I sort of got it, even though I still sometimes think it's a big macho, testosterone filled slug fest that everyone takes way too seriously.  But I guess with a son the size of John, I better get used to it.


With the other captains for the coin toss
Yes, we will receive!
Go #89!
Getting the plays from Coach
Tackle!
Finishing the job
Watch out PRP! The Centurions are coming ready to score next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment