Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hello Teenager!

With the rush of getting out of town for spring break, we didn't get to celebrate the momentous occasion of Sarah's 13th birthday until after we arrived home last weekend.  She actually turned 13 on April 2nd, which was the day we left for Utah, and since we had to leave the house for the airport at 5:15 in the morning (so much for sleeping in on your birthday!), we opened gifts and went out to dinner to PF Chang's (her fav) on Friday night.  Because she is now an official teenager, we gifted her with all the essentials every teenage girl needs...


A cool, turquoise flat iron (matches her room!)
A basket of goodies from Bath & Body Works (what her room always smells like!)
A beautiful promise ring from her Dad, because he's the only guy she needs at 13!
...and she couldn't ask for a better one!
We also gave her a new piece of luggage (she can't possibly be expected to share with John, now that she's a teenager!), and a gift card to Sephora (she loves to play in the makeup!).  Oh, and of course, the Great Wall of Chocolate at PF Chang's.

Yum!
The Sunday after spring break we had all our family over to celebrate with dinner and cake (or I should say, cupcakes).  I put pictures from all of her birthdays into the cupcakes (strawberry, her favorite).  She didn't like this very much, because like all women she doesn't want to be reminded of hairstyles from the past, but I loved remembering all her cakes and parties.  I can't believe it's been 13 years since she made me a mother.  It has been a continuous ride of emotions, the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows, but I have never loved my life more.  When I become stressed or frustrated with being a mother, I stop and remind myself it is my honor, privilege, and absolute undeserved blessing to raise these children.  I am looking forward to the teenage years...(did I really just say that?).

The cupcakes "through the years"
It was the year of gift cards (teenagers love to shop!)
A special April angel from Papa
We love you Sarah and wish you the happiest of days!  

3 comments:

  1. Happy 13 Miss Sarah! It looks like you had a great birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my gosh, jill, she is beautiful... we never looked that together at 13 did we? you must be so proud. you and lawrence are wonderful parents.

    please give her my love, and to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, Mary Oliver shared your beautiful tribute to your daughter Sarah. It is lovely and she is lovely. I can't believe the years that have gone by since you and Mary Oliver were Sarah's age. It seems such a short time ago that you two were doing cartwheels in the front yard dressed in your cheerleading outfits!

    ReplyDelete