Friday, November 11, 2011

A Few Fun Days

We've just had a wonderful two days off of school.  I don't know why our school scheduled an In Service right before the Thanksgiving holiday, but they did, so we were out of class on Thursday and Friday of this week.  Some folks chose to treat it as our fall break (because we didn't have an official fall break this year), and left town, but we just had a little "staycation" instead, and enjoyed having nowhere to go and all day to get there.  We slept in on Thursday morning and then met Lawrence for lunch at Lynn's Paradise Cafe.  




I don't know how my kids have lived in Louisville their entire lives and have never been to Lynn's (bad mom!), but they had not, so I enjoyed showing them this crazy place for the first time. We ate waaaaaay too much food...






John's favorite part was of course, the gift shop, but we made it out of there without buying anything (truly, a miracle).


Christmas card?


I think the kids loved it, and I feel better now that they've had a slice of a local treasure.  




From there we headed to the movies to see the "new" Footloose.  I gotta admit, I loved it.  So cheesy, but so good.  Now I'm going to make the kids watch the original, which I predict they will think is totally lame and stupid.  But I'm still going to make them.  I got to have dinner with my friend Jill Evans last night at Hammerheads in Germantown, which was a total dive and SO good.  My friend Brittany had told me their food was great, and that was an understatement.  The duck tacos were divine!


This morning we got up a little earlier and headed downtown for Veteran's Day.  It's 11/11/11 (that must mean something special!), and our first stop was to Walgreens to pick up some donations to take to the Frazier Museum to be sent to the troops.  They are collecting donations all month so we dropped off things like hand sanitizer, beef jerky (gross, but it's what they asked for) and instant coffee (oh, how I think our troops deserve Starbucks, but I guess instant will have to do).  After dropping off our donations we toured the museum for an hour before the Veteran's Day parade began on Main Street.  It was short, but very cool all the same, and I'm glad we did something to commemorate our country's veterans.  It's very hard for my or my kids' generations to understand the idea of war and service.  I know we are at war now, and my kids have a distant understanding of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but I wouldn't say that we've had to sacrifice anything for these conflicts...I mean really sacrifice, like some many Americans did in the World Wars and Vietnam (or the Civil War, it's mind boggling).  If the time ever comes, will I be able to proudly give up my son to defend our country?  I don't even want to imagine that day ever coming, but I know it has for so many American families, and I feel trite dropping off some toothbrushes and foot powder to donate, but today, that's what we did, and I hope all our men and women in uniform know how vitally important they are, and how much we appreciate them.   We watched the parade and then headed home for a relaxing afternoon.  












Now it's Friday evening, and the house is quiet.  Sarah is babysitting up the street, and John is at the UK basketball game with the Weises.  Lawrence should be home soon, and I'm savoring some quiet time (aka, scrapbooking time!).  The sun is setting on 11/11/11...Happy Armistice Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment